Monday, September 10, 2012

NUNS & COWBOYS

After much deliberation I posted  my new video on YouTube. I have no idea what to do with it but I am so glad I made the piece. I guess an artist just has to keep on making art. So I may as well share this with my dear friends who also blog and who occasionally come by maplepancakes. Thanks for being there!

The video is six minutes long. The story is about a kid living in the 1950's and her discovery of cowboy movies. So far I have shared it with my friends and I posted it on my portfolio blog.

My project was an experiment in animation.
I created the animation using an online drawing program created by Zefrank and Mario Klingemann, edited in Painter 12, and animated clips created using my drawings in sequences with Animationish (A wonderful animation program designed for kids).

I used my iPad to record the sound track with Garage Band. I had to make a few runs through it to get it without helicopters flying past or ambulances or even crazy drivers spinning wheels on the streets below. I recorded in the bathroom but then it sounded as if I'd recorded in the bathroom. I recorded in the bedroom with the story taped to my closet door so that I could stand up and read the whole thing without stopping because I haven't figured out how to split tracks without them sounding disconnected. I also added voice tracks running under the dialogue. I became singing nuns and then later for the video, the voices of kids playing cowboys.

If anyone had been looking in at me sitting with my iPad laying tracks into Garage Band they might have thought I'd lost my mind.

But it is now finished and I had so much fun with it I am so glad I put the time into it.

If anyone wants to comment I will be so happy to know you looked at it.

8 comments:

Tanya said...

Oh my goodness -- I love this! The angry mother is my favourite. And I can't believe the dad bought a car! I laughed out loud at that part.

How many hours did this take you??

And can I repost it on the CWILL blog?

M. J. Muir said...

Oh Tanya. Thank you so much for checking this out and your comments make my day. You liked it. Yeay. An Artist after all, needs someone to like their work.
I spent about four months here and there developing all the bits and pieces. Music, editing story, drawing horses, creating the animation clips and sound track and then editing the video. I had so much fun! Never had the time to do this stuff when I worked full time.
The story is from one chapter from my unpublished and never mailed out YA novel I have been working on for years. It is adjusted slightly to make a story for this video.
I would be thrilled if you posted it to the CWILL blog. Thank you so much!

Raymond's Brain said...

I saw the link from the CWILL blog. It is so wonderful and interesting to think about children and men and women from an earlier time. The images were so beautiful and shift from nuns to cowboys was a delight.

Paula said...

Well, that is quite something, Mary Jane! I can't imagine the work that went into putting all that together, from beginning to end! I love the story, as well as the audio and video. I appreciate your backstory, too, as it gives some ideas as to what to listen for. Thinking of you trying to record when no outside noises would interfere is funny! Kudos to you for making this project. It has me kind of wanting to try something like that. When I get time, I will check out the software you mentioned. Oh, and maybe you could make a list of the software you used if you haven't already.

And I would have commented sooner but I came over this past weekend and read this entry and then the one about the ducks. That upset me. I get upset when animals are hurt. Anyway, I didn't leave a comment then, so am back to do so. Thanks for visiting my blog and your comments. They are always a treat (your insights) and I appreciate it. : )

Tomás Serrano said...

Mary Jane, this is awesomw, a big surprise for me. Unfortunately I can't understand all the words, but it sounds like a beautiful story. And there are a lot of great drawings. Congrats!

M. J. Muir said...

Raymond - I am so glad you came by. Thanks for your thoughts! You have a great blog with so many interesting posts. I am glad I discovered it.

Paula - I did a happy dance when I saw that you came by. I so love your funny and wonderful art for children. I do appreciate your comments so much. I would be glad to list the software and perhaps I might do a bit of blogging about the making of it because I tried a few different things and learned a few things I can share.

I have a PC and I used Scribbler Too online for the drawings, CorelDraw to convert large files to smaller files, Corel Painter 12 to clean up and adjust my drawings, Animationish, Corel Video Studio Pro for editing the animation clips.
I think you could probably create anything with the software you are familiar with on a MAC. But perhaps Animationish would be helpful for creating small clips of animations.
I would be glad to answer questions anytime. Your characters will make such fantastic animations if you ever decide to get into that area.
I could write pages here. But I'd better not. Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

TOMAS - Thanks you for looking at the video! I am always glad when you visit my blog. If you want me to send you the words I might be able to figure out a way to make Google translate the text file to Spanish. I can email it to you if I figure it out.

Peggy Lalor said...

Mary Jane,
You are brave and alive to jump to this new form of art! It is fun and exciting, I'd like to show it to my very saavy neice Kate! Thanks!

M. J. Muir said...

Hi Peggy - I am so glad you like my movie. Show it to anyone you want to. I hope your niece likes it too.